A brief description of Reductil:
Reductil is a brand name for an excellent drug known as Sibutramine that is intended to be used to decrease weight and treat obesity. Reductil is an oral anorexiant that is most commonly used with low-calorie diet and a regular exercise to decrease and maintain a healthy weight.
Mechanism of action of Reductil:
Sibutramine present in Reductil is a monoamine reuptake inhibitor (MRI), which functions by decreasing the reuptake of norepinephrine, serotonin, and dopamine and thereby increases their level in the synaptic cleft. This, in turn, increases satiety and decreases appetite. It also provides a feeling of fullness only after eating small portions of meal and maintains the metabolism of the body.
The dosage regimen of Reductil:
Commercially, Reductil 15 mg is available in a tablet dosage form. For the treatment of obesity, a patient should consume Reductil 15 mg vial oral route, once in a day, with sufficient quantity of water. It is better to take the tablet in the morning to reduce the sleep disturbances. You can take the drug with or without food.
Contraindications of Reductil:
- If you are allergic or hypersensitive to Sibutramine or any of the ingredients present in Reductil, then you should not take this medication.
- Reductil should not be used in the patients having age more than 65 years.
Precautions while taking Reductil:
- If you are a patient with the eating disorder, high and uncontrolled blood pressure, or increased blood pressure in the lungs then you should avoid taking this medication.
- If you have a history of heart problem or failure, stroke, mental or mood problems, suicidal thoughts, then you should not take this medication.
- In case you are a pregnant woman or a lactating mother, you should avoid taking this medication.
- If you are on a dialysis for severe kidney problems then you should definitely avoid taking this medication.
- Do not use anticoagulants along with Reductil as it may increase the risk of bleeding.
Side effects of Reductil:
Some common side effects of Reductil include constipation, dry mouth, anorexia, back pain, flu syndrome, nausea, and sinusitis.