What is Mirapex?
Mirapex is an effective medication that shows same effects as dopamine shows in the body and it is used to treat the symptoms of Parkinson's disease such as tremors, stiffness, muscle spasms and poor control of muscles. It is also used in treating restless leg syndrome (RLS). Mirapex encloses a generic drug called Pramipexole.
What is the working mechanism of Mirapex?
Mirapex acts by mimicking the actions of dopamine in the brain. Mirapex stimulates the dopamine receptors in the striatum, thus helps in the treatment of symptoms of Parkinson's disease.
What is the dose and dosing regimen of Mirapex?
The commonly given doses of Mirapex are 0.5 and 1 mg.
For Parkinson's disease: One tablet of Mirapex containing 0.5-1.5 mg of the dose is given orally, 2-3 times a day with ample amount of water. The Dose should not increase frequently, more than 5-7 days up to 4.5mg per day.
For restless leg syndrome (RLS): A 0.5 mg tablet of Mirapex is taken orally 2-3 hours before bedtime with an ample amount of water.
What are the contraindications of Mirapex?
- Do not take Mirapex if you are suffering from low blood pressure.
- In the case of any renal or hepatic disorder, Mirapex should not be taken.
- Do not take Mirapex if you have a problem in controlling your muscle movements.
- Taking Mirapex in pregnancy is not advisable.
What are the drug interactions of Mirapex?
- Consult a physician before taking a sleeping pill, narcotic medication, muscle relaxer, or medicine for anxiety, depression, or seizures as these medicines can worsen the side effects of Mirapex.
- Do not take medicines used in peptic ulcers like Cimetidine.
- Do not take medicine used to treat mental illness such as chlorpromazine, Droperidol, Fluphenazine, haloperidol, Prochlorperazine, and Thioridazine.
What are the side effects seen with the use of Mirapex?
Commonly seen side effects with the use of Mirapex are extreme drowsiness, hallucinations, muscle spasms, memory problems, insomnia, dry mouth and increased urination.
What are the safety measures to be kept in mind while using Mirapex?
- Mirapex causes drowsiness, therefore, do not attempt driving or operating heavy machinery.
- Do not take alcohol along with Mirapex.
- Mirapex cause hypotension, therefore avoid getting up too fast from a sitting or lying position, otherwise, you may feel dizzy. Get up slowly and steady yourself to prevent a fall.
What are the ideal storage conditions for Mirapex?
Keep Mirapex at the room temperature away from the reach of children and pets.