A brief description of Maxalt 10 MG:
Maxalt is a renowned medication that is indicated to be used in the acute treatment of a migraine with or without aura in adults and in children of 6 to 17 years old. It is also helpful in relieving headache, pain, and other symptoms (like vomiting, nausea, sensitivity to light) of a migraine. Maxalt possesses an active drug moiety known as Rizatriptan that comes under the class of drugs called triptans.
Mechanism of action of Maxalt 10 MG:
Rizatriptan shows its action mechanism by getting bind with high affinity to the 5-HT1B/1D receptors that are located on the intracranial blood vessels and sensory nerves of the trigeminal system. It also affects a certain natural substance known as serotonin and causes narrowing of blood vessels in the brain. Therefore, Maxalt helps in relieving the symptoms of a headache, nausea, and vomiting associated with a migraine.
The dosage regimen of Maxalt 10 MG:
Commercially Maxalt is accessible in a tablet dosage form with a dosing strength of 10 mg. The recommended starting dose of Maxalt for the acute treatment of a migraine is 10 mg that should be taken orally with plenty of water. You can take Maxalt 10 mg with or without food, but the drug will work faster when it is consumed on an empty stomach.
Contraindications of Maxalt 10 MG:
- If a patient notices any type of allergic or hypersensitivity reactions to Rizatriptan or any other ingredient present in Maxalt, then the patient should not take this medication.
- A patient should not take Maxalt 10 mg within 24 hours before or after using any other migraine drug.
- If you have used any other MAO inhibitor drugs in the last 14 days, then you should not take this medication.
Precautions while taking Maxalt 10 MG:
- If a patient has a severe heart problem, uncontrolled high blood pressure, a history of coronary artery disease, stroke, angina, blood vessel disorder, a headache that is different from a usual migraine, then the patient should not take this medication.
- If you have a liver, kidney disease, or a condition for which you are using Propanol, then you should not take this medication.
- If you are a pregnant woman or a breastfeeding mother, then you have to consult your doctor before taking this medication.
- Maxalt is not indicated to be used in patients below the age of 6 years.
Side effects of Maxalt 10 MG:
Some common side effects of Maxalt include shortness of breath, pounding heartbeat, chest pain, the sensation of burning, numbness, dizziness, nausea, dry mouth, sleepiness, and unusual weakness.