A brief description of Dostinex:
Dostinex is a renowned medication that is used for treating disorders associated with high levels of the prolactin hormone that is either due to tumors in the pituitary gland or to idiopathic. Dostinex possesses an active drug moiety known as Cabergoline that is an ergot medication used to decrease the level of prolactin in the body.
Mechanism of action of Dostinex:
Cabergoline present in Dostinex is a long-acting dopamine receptor agonist with a high affinity for D2 receptors. Cabergoline produces a direct inhibitory action on the secretion of prolactin from the pituitary gland and causes a decrease in the serum prolactin level in the body.
The dosage regimen of Dostinex:
Commercially, Dostinex is available in a tablet dosage form. A patient should start the therapy by taking 0.25 mg of Dostinex twice a week. The dosage of Dostinex may be increased up to 1mg twice a week based on the patient's serum prolactin level. Approximately 6 months after the maintenance of normal serum prolactin level, the intake of Dostinex should be discontinued.
Contraindications of Dostinex:
If a patient notices any type of allergic or hypersensitivity reactions to Cabergoline or any other ingredient present in Dostinex, then the patient should not take this medication.
Precautions while taking Dostinex:
- If you are a patient who is suffering from liver disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, lung disease, cardiovascular disease, then you should avoid taking this medication.
- In the case of pregnancy and lactation, Dostinex should not be used.
- Dostinex should be used with a special caution in children because its effectiveness and safety have not been confirmed yet.
- Do not consume alcohol or any other alcoholic beverages while taking Dostinex as it may increase the effect of drowsiness.
- Do not drive or perform those unsafe works where special attention is required.
Side effects of Dostinex:
Some common side effects of Dostinex include a headache, constipation, weight gain, dizziness, stomach pain, decreased urination, indigestion, weakness, and nausea.