Canesten is one of the most commonly used medications that are commonly used for the treatment of vaginal infection caused by Candida (yeast). This medication can also be used for the treatment wide range of infection including of tinea pedis, a fungal infection of the groin, ringworm, and fungal nappy rash. Canesten is made up of Clotrimazole as the primary ingredient, which can be used by mouth or applied as a cream to the skin or in the vagina.
How Canesten works?
Canesten (Clotrimazole) falls under the group of medication called as an antifungal. It shows therapeutic action by preventing the fungi from producing a substance known as Ergosterol, which is an important element of fungal cell membranes. The interference in the formation of Ergosterol results in the appearance of holes in the fungal cell membrane. As Clotrimazole develops holes in the cell membranes, the vital components of the fungal cells can ooze out. Therefore, the death of fungi occurs and helps in treating the fungal infection.
How to use Canesten tablet:
The most commonly used dose of Canesten is 200mg you have to use this medication via intravaginally once a day for 3 consecutive days alone or in combination with topical application of 1% Clotrimazole cream to affected area two times daily for 7 consecutive days. Do not use more than one dose of this medication to avoid harmful effects.
What are the possible drug interactions of Canesten cream?
Don't try to take following class of medication as it can produce harmful effects:
- Opioid painkillers such as Fentanyl
- Immunosuppressant's like Tacrolimus
- Folic acid antagonist such as Trimetrexate
- Vitamins, any prescription or nonprescription and herbal preparation
What are the precautions while using Canesten Cream?
- If you are pregnant and breastfeeding woman you should consult the doctor before use.
- A woman has to use this medication on regular basis to clear up your infection completely.
- Never try to use this medication if you are allergic to any ingredient in Canesten or Clotrimazole or foods, or other substances.