A brief description of Bimat:
The bimat eye drop is a marvelous ophthalmic preparation that intended to be used in the treatment of hypotrichosis of eyelashes (a condition due to abnormal eyelash growth). It has a tremendous application in making your eyelashes to grow longer, darker, and thicker. Bimatoprost is an active drug moiety that is present in Bimat and it is involved in the enhancement of active hair growth phase of the eyelashes.
Mechanism of action of Bimat:
Bimatoprost is considered as an analog of naturally occurring chemical known as Prostaglandin. It shows its action mechanism by augmenting the percentage of eyelash follicles in the anagen phase, which helps in the lengthening of the eyelashes. It is also responsible for the stimulation of melanogenesis that further helps in making darker lashes and, at the same time, it enhances the size of the dermal papilla and hair bulb, which is responsible for the lash thickness and fullness.
The dosage regimen of Bimat:
The bimat eye drop is commercially available as an ophthalmic preparation. A patient should use one drop of Bimat solution once at night. You should use Bimat eye drop by applying it to the base of the upper eyelashes of each eye and you can use a very fine eyeliner brush for applying the drug. While applying you should take a drop on the brush and should make a line of the drug to the upper eyelid. You should not apply it to the lower eyelid and other areas near to the eye. Make sure that your contact lenses should be removed before applying Bimat eye drops. Reinsert your contact lenses approximately 15 minutes after the application of the Bimat eye drops.
Contraindications of Bimat:
- If a patient notices any type of allergic or hypersensitive reactions to Bimatoprost or any other component of Bimat, then the patient should not take this medication.
Precautions while applying Bimat:
- You should remove your contact lenses before applying Bimat eye drops and you should reinsert it after waiting for 15 minutes.
- If you have open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension and for this, you are using any other eye drops then you should not apply this medication.
- If you have a kidney problem or liver problem, then you should first talk to your doctor before taking this medication.
- If you have any kind of eye, related injury or infection then you should consult your doctor before applying this medication.
- You should never touch the eye brush directly with your hands as it may infect your eyes.
Side effects of Bimat eye drop:
Some common side effects of Bimat eye drop include eye pain, pigmentation of the iris, darkening, and pigmentation of the area around the eyes, swollen eyelids, and change in vision.