A brief description of Ativan:
Ativan is an eminent medication that possesses Lorazepam as an active drug moiety that belongs to a class of drugs known as Benzodiazepines. It is used in the treatment of short-term relief of the warning signs of anxiety or anxiety allied with depressive symptoms.
Mechanism of action of Ativan:
Lorazepam present in Ativan has a tranquilizing activity in the central nervous system. In people with anxiety, there is an imbalance of chemicals in the brain, therefore when Ativan is given to the patients; it affects these chemicals by maintaining their balance in the CNS. In this way, Lorazepam produces a calming effect in the brain.
The dosage regimen of Ativan:
Commercially, Ativan 2mg is accessible in a tablet dosage form. For the treatment of anxiety, the usual dose should be Ativan 2mg to 3 mg and it should be given two or three times a day. The dose for the treatment of insomnia due to anxiety or stress is 2 to 4 mg usually at bedtime. A patient needs to take the drug at the same time every day. You can take it with or without food.
Contraindications of Ativan:
- If a patient had ever noticed any type of allergic or hypersensitive reactions to Lorazepam or any other ingredient present in Ativan, then the patient should not take this medication.
- Do not use this medication if you are a pregnant woman as it may cause birth defects.
- Patients younger than 18 years old should not use this medication.
Precautions while taking Ativan:
- In case if a patient is suffering from narrow-angle glaucoma, asthma or other breathing problem, myasthenia gravis, seizures or epilepsy, then you should avoid taking this medication.
- If you have a history of alcohol, any other drug addiction, or a history of depression, and suicidal thoughts then you should not take this medication.
- If you are taking any other narcotic medication then you should stop taking this medication.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery or any other work that requires special attention as it may cause dizziness.
Side effects of Ativan:
Some common side effects of Ativan include weakness, drowsiness, dizziness, headache, slurred speech, feeling unsteady, sore throat, joint pain, and runny nose.