Product description of Alphagan eye drops:
Alphagan is a magnificent medication used to treat the increased intraocular pressure or open-angle glaucoma. It drains the increased fluid from the eyes thereby decreasing the intraocular pressure.
Mechanism of action of Alphagan eye drops:
The primary active constituent of Alphagan eye drops is Brimonidine. Brimonidine is an alpha-adrenergic receptor agonist that works by stimulating alpha-receptors found in the blood vessels in the eye. It has a dual mechanism of action by reducing aqueous humor production and increasing uveoscleral outflow.
The dosing regimen of Alphagan eye drops:
The commercially available dosing strengths of Alphagan eye drops are 0.1 and 0.2%. Administer 1 drop in the affected eye(s), 3 times a day, about 8 hours apart.
Do not use more than one drop, as using several drops does not improve your glaucoma but will increase the risk of side effects. Repeat the process in your other eye.
In the case of missed dose, treatment should continue with next dose as normal.
Contraindications of Alphagan eye drops:
- Do not take Alphagan if you are allergic to Brimonidine or any other ingredient present in the medication.
- If you are suffering from low blood pressure, circulation problems (such as Reynaud's syndrome) then consult your doctor before taking Alphagan eye drops.
- Do not take this medication if you are suffering from congestive heart failure, coronary artery disease or have a history of stroke or blood clot.
Drug interactions of Alphagan eye drops:
- Alphagan eye drops should not be given along with monoamine oxidase inhibitors or tricyclic antidepressants such as Imipramine.
- Alphagan can show interaction with any other eye drop used concomitantly.
Possible side effects:
The probable side effects of Alphagan eye drops are reddening of the eye, eye irritation, dry mouth, distorted vision and fatigue.
- Pregnant and lactating mothers should consult their doctor before using Alphagan eye drops.
- Alphagan eye drops should not be used in infants and children under 12 years of age.
- Do not drive or perform any unsafe task that requires sharpness of vision while using Alphagan eye drops.
- Regular eye check-up must be done while using Alphagan eye drops.
- Consult your doctor if you had an eye injury or infection, or if you are going to have an eye surgery in future.
Opened bottles may be stored at room temperature, up to 250C for up to 6 weeks. Store this medicine away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Alphagan eye drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.